Bachelor’s of Technology is a 4-year long undergraduate program that leads to an engineering degree. This course is quite popular among the youth of India. The reason behind this is the number of disciplines offered by the course like computer science and engineering, civil engineering, mechanical engineering.
Top 10 private engineering colleges in India offer admission to the students through either their own entrance examination or through JEE Mains. VIT, Jaipur, offers admission on the basis of merit list made during the REAP counseling session using JEE mains score and marks obtained in Class 12th.
During the counseling session, students can select a specialization according to their interests. Here are some of the B.tech disciplines:
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
Career Scope, Jobs, and Salary
Once you have graduated and become an engineer, there are several directions you can go. If you want to get further specialization, you can go for higher studies and pursue a Master of Technology or M.tech course. After M.tech, you can either go for a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), get into R&D in the related discipline, or opt for a teaching field. Some candidates go for MBA degrees after B.tech to enter the management field.
In terms of job opportunities, the engineering field offers a lot of options. Depending on your knowledge and skills, you can get employment with top companies. There are several private companies in India that recruit engineers every year. Apart from these, several public sector organizations also recruit engineers. Here are some of the top recruiters that hire graduates from specializations like computer science and engineering, electrical and electronics engineering, etc.:
- Tata Motors
The salary of an engineer depends on a lot of factors:
- Skills and Knowledge – This is a major factor in determining your package after graduating. The more skills you have, the better package you can grab.
- The institute – The brand of the institute can help you get better interview opportunities. However, securing the job will still depend on the knowledge you have. Also, better colleges provide better campus placement opportunities.
- Experience – This is a major factor that can get you a package well beyond your expectations. It also depends on the organization you have worked for before. Students who are still in college can look for internship opportunities to gain some work experience before graduating.
- Field – As mentioned above, there are different subdivisions in the engineering field. Your salary will depend on whether you have done B.tech mechanical engineering or B.tech civil engineering.
For an engineering graduate, the average starting salary is Rs. 20,000 to 30,000 per month. Once they have got the experience, the salary can range from Rs. 5 lakh to 10 lakh per annum. Engineers can also earn an attractive salary package abroad. However, this also depends on your specialization. For example, the average salary of a Computer Science and Engineering is better than the salary of a Chemical Engineer.